
I watch the game of baseball to be thrilled. I take each play as part of the entire experience and the sport never lets me down. Excitement rages through each and every game. Every second of the game can produce something magical; each player can turn ordinary into extraordinary. One of the most exciting players in the game, one of the most talented to ever play, Omar Vizquel can make the impossible, the possible and the ordinary, the incredible.
Every time I see a Giants game, wherever I sit, Omar is always a focus of mine. I know if I take my eyes off the game, I could miss a play that can only cement himself even more as the greatest shortstop to play the game. Nothing is out of his range. His creativity turns impossibility into just another night. He never seems to lose a throw to a speedy runner. Never panicking, he beats all base runners by the same half-step, over and over again. He has it all in his arsenal. The backhand pick, the barehand pick and the glovestop make the game look good. Turning two has never been more of a piece of artwork before. Laying out on crushed brick and backhanding the ball never looked better. Sprinting full steam into the shallow outfield and then pirouetting and slinging the ball across his body to get the runner at first was never more exciting. His footwork is quick, his dives effortless. No wasted motion or energy seems to come out of his play. Everything has a purpose, to get the runner.
He makes baseball beautiful by playing his position the way it's supposed to be played. His glovework is incredible. He has hands that one can only describe as heavenly. At times, it seems to me like he plays without a glove, the fielding, the transition and the throw. The fluidity is beautiful. He is as graceful as a ballet dancer and as elegant as a ballroom dancer. Unselfish, team-oriented and damn good. I'd pay money to see him play.

No comments:
Post a Comment